SERVICE DOGS ON SITE
The Toronto Zoo is proud to be an accessible facility and welcomes trained and accredited service dogs
, and their owner(s), access to the Zoo site. In consideration of the health and welfare of the Toronto Zoo’s vast animal population and enjoyment of other guests, service dogs are permitted under specified conditions and in most areas of the Zoo except a few public areas noted below and all non-public work areas. Please note that the Toronto Zoo does enforce a general By-law that does not permit pets
on the Zoo grounds (including parking lots).
Trained, accredited service dogs
(guide dogs for the visually impaired and specially trained dogs for people with varying disabilities) may be permitted on the Zoo grounds, providing certain procedures are followed (as listed below). Please review the following carefully and contact Guest Services with any questions or concerns at 416-392-5929.
- The Toronto Zoo is committed to providing excellent service for all our guests. A Zoo Volunteer or staff member will accompany guests with a service dog on site. To ensure availability and avoid disappointment, please pre-book with Toronto Zoo Volunteer Services at least one week prior to your visit by calling 416-392-5942 with the following information:
- Visitor Name:
- Day/Date of visit:
- Estimated time of arrival:
- Estimated length of stay:
- Please note that the following documentation is required and is to be presented to Guest Services, prior to admission, to permit access for a service dog on the Zoo site:
- Accreditation documentation by a recognized Assistance Dogs International program or equivalent. As per Zoo policy, only working dogs (not including retired, trainee and companion dogs), are permitted on Zoo site.
- Proof of vaccination within the past year against rabies.
- The majority of the Zoo site is available to visit with a service dog present with the exception of four small public areas. Based on a study conducted at the Toronto Zoo, we have identified some sensitive areas of the Zoo where the presence of service dogs should be restricted – including areas with free ranging animals including birds or direct animal contact. Due to adverse reactions by the animals and for the safety of our collections and visitors, service dogs are not permitted in the Kids Zoo, Malayan Woods Pavilion, the Costa Rican aviary in the Americas Pavilion and the Waterside Theatre during scheduled Animal Shows. Please note all visitors are not permitted in the Zoo’s service and non-public areas.
- All Zoo exhibits should be approached slowly to give the Zoo animals time to react to the presence of a service dog. For everyone’s welfare, if an animal appears distressed or agitated, the dog should be immediately moved further back or away from the exhibit completely.
- If the dog is barking or causing a disturbance for the animals or other guests, the guest and accompanying service dog may be required to leave the area or the Zoo site.
- The owner is responsible to "stoop and scoop".
- 7. If the owner prefers to leave the service dog at Guest Services, staff will ensure that the dog receives appropriate care. (See Special Needs & Services section.)
If you have any questions, please contact Guest Services at 416-392-5929 or Volunteer Services at 416-392-5942.
Toronto Zoo's Accessible Guest Service Policy, Procedures and Practices have been developed to fulfill the requirements of the Ontario Regulation 429/07, Accessibility Standards for Customer Service. This document is available upon request at Guest Services. For more information about accessibility and special needs services, call (416) 392-5932.